RICHMOND HILL PLANTATION
Richmond Hill Plantation Description
On the coastline of Georgia sits a peninsula once known as Bryan Neck, enveloped by creeks and salt marshes and the Ogeechee and Medway rivers that flow past the Intracoastal Waterway and unspoiled barrier islands on their way to the sea. On land, grey fox and whitetail deer run beneath magnolia, palm and Spanish moss-draped live oak trees. Osprey, bald eagles and songbirds are seen overhead. And dolphin and manatee frolic in the waterways as alligators and fiddler crabs watch from the banks. Guale Indians were the first humans known to walk the high bluffs, in 4000 B.C., living off the shellfish and teeming tidewaters. Since then, Spanish missionaries, pirates, Colonial planters and pioneers, crabbers and shrimpers have lived off the land. In 1925, industrialist Henry Ford discovered the area and chose it for his winter retreat. It was he who gave the town the name Richmond Hill. Today, located in the heart of town, Richmond Hill Plantation is emerging, blending the beauty of old world living with modern luxuries.